- Highet G, Crawford D, Murray SA, Boyd K. Development and evaluation of the Supportive and Palliative Care Indicators Tool (SPICT): a mixed-methods study.
BMJ Support Palliat Care Published Online First: 25 July 2013 doi:10.1136/bmjspcare-2013-000488.
- Boyd K, Murray SA. Recognising and managing key transitions in end of life care. BMJ 2010;341:c4863 (Original concept for the SPICT tool)
- Mitchell GK, Senior HE, Rhee JJ, Ware RS, Young S, Teo PC, Murray S, Boyd K, Clayton JM. Using intuition or a formal palliative care needs assessment screening process in general practice to predict death within 12 months: A randomised controlled trial. Palliat Med. 2018 Feb;32(2):384-394. doi: 10.1177/0269216317698621. Epub 2017 Apr 28. PMID: 28452570.
- De Bock, R, Van Den Noortgate, N, Piers, R.Validation of the Supportive and Palliative Care Indicators Tool in a Geriatric Population. J Palliat Med 2018;21(2):220-224. DOI: 10.1089/jpm.2017.0205.
Translation and adaptation of SPICT™
- Sripaew, S., Fumaneeshoat, O. & Ingviya, T. Systematic adaptation of the Thai version of the Supportive and Palliative Care Indicators Tool for low-income settings (SPICT-LIS). BMC Palliat Care 20, 35 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12904-021-00729-y
- Casale G, Magnani C, Fanelli R, et al. Supportive and Palliative Care Indicators Tool (SPICT™): content validity, feasibility and pre-test of the Italian version. BMC Palliative Care 19, 79 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12904-020-00584-3
- Fachado AA, Martínez NS, Roselló MM, Rial JJV, Oliver EB, García RG,García JMF. Spanish adaptation and validation of the Supportive & Palliative Care Indicators Tool – SPICT-ES. Rev Saude Publica. 2018; 52: 3. Published online 2018 Jan 16. doi: 10.11606/S1518-8787.2018052000398
- Afshar K, Feichtner A, Boyd K, Murray S, Jünger S, Wiese B, Schneider N, Müller-Mundt G. Systematic development and adjustment of the German version of the Supportive and Palliative Care Indicators Tool (SPICT-DE). BMC Palliative Care 2018;17:27.
SPICT™ in clinical practice
- van Wijmen MPS, Schweitzer BPM, Pasman HR, Onwuteaka-Philipsen BD. Identifying patients who could benefit from palliative care by making use of the general practice information system: the Surprise Question versus the SPICT, Family Practice, Volume 37, Issue 5, October 2020, Pages 641–647, https://doi.org/10.1093/fampra/cmaa049
- Fumaneeshoat O, Ingviya T, Sripaew S. Prevalence of Cancer Patients Requiring Palliative Care in Outpatient Clinics in a Tertiary Hospital in Southern Thailand. Journal of Health Science and Medical Research, 2021 http://dx.doi.org/10.31584/jhsmr.2021798
- Bergenholtz, H., Missel, M. & Timm, H. Talking about death and dying in a hospital setting – a qualitative study of the wishes for end-of-life conversations from the perspective of patients and spouses. BMC Palliat Care 19, 168 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12904-020-00675-1
- Liyanage T, Mitchell G, Senior H. Identifying palliative care needs in residential care. Australian Journal of Primary Health Research. 2018 24(6) 524-529 https://doi.org/10.1071/PY17168
- Sulistio M, Franco M, Vo A, Poon P, William L. Hospital rapid response team and patients with life-limiting illness: a multicentre retrospective cohort study. Palliat Med. 2015 Apr;29(4):302-9. doi: 10.1177/0269216314560802. Epub 2015 Jan 29. PMID: 25634630.
Publications on identification for palliative care and care planning
- Broadhurst HL, Droney J, Callender T, et al. Advance care planning: the impact of Ceiling of Treatment plans in patients with Coordinate My Care. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care 2019;9:267-270. https://spcare.bmj.com/content/9/3/267
- Amblàs-Novellas, J., Martori, J.C., Espaulella, J. et al. Frail-VIG index: a concise frailty evaluation tool for rapid geriatric assessment. BMC Geriatr 18,29 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12877-018-0718-2
- Downar J, Goldman R, Pinto R, Englesakis M, Adhikari NK. The “surprise question” for predicting death in seriously ill patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Canadian Medical Journal 2017 Apr 3:189(13): e485-e493. doi: 10.1503/cmaj.160775.
- Clifford C, Thomas K, Armstrong-Wilson J. Going for Gold: the Gold Standards Framework programme and accreditation in primary care. End Life J 2016; 6:e000028. doi:10.1136/eoljnl-2016-000028
- Walsh RI, Mitchell G, Francis L, Van Driel ML. What diagnostic tools exist for the early identification of palliative care patients in primary care: a systematic review. Journal of Palliative Care 2015;31(2):118-123.
- Clark D, Armstrong M, Allan A et al. Imminence of death among hospital inpatients; a prevalence cohort study. Palliative Medicine 2014; doi: 10.1177/0269216314526443
- Maas E, Murray SA, Engels Y, Campbell C. What tools are available to identify people with palliative care needs in primary care: a systematic review and survey of European practice. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care 2013;3:444–451.
- Gomez-Batiste X et al. Identifying patients with chronic conditions in need of palliative care in the general population: development of the NECPAL tool and preliminary prevalence rates in Catalonia. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care 2012; doi:10.1136/bmjspcare-2102-000211.
- Harrison N, Cavers D, Campbell C, Murray SA. Are UK primary care teams formally identifying patients for palliative care before they die? Br J Gen Pract 2012; DOI:10.3399/bjgp12X64146.
- Gott M, Ingleton C, Bennett M, Gardiner C. Transitions to palliative care in acute hospitals in England: qualitative study. BMJ 2011; 342:d1773.
- Weissman D E, Meier DE. Identifying patients in need of a palliative care assessment in the hospital setting. J Palliat Med 2011; 14(1): 17-23; doi: 10.1089/jpm.2010.0347. Epub 2010 Dec 6.
- Thoosen B, Groot M, Engles Y, Prins J, Verhagen S, Galesloot C et al. Early identification and proactive palliative care for patients in general practice, incentive and methods of a randomised controlled trial. BMC Family Practice 2011; 12:123
- Glare PA, Sinclair CT. Palliative medicine review: prognostication. J Palliat Med 2008; 11:84-103.
- Lynn J. Serving patients who may die soon: the role of hospice and other services. JAMA 2001; 285:925-932. doi:10.1001/jama.285.7.925