REDMAP is a 6-step guide to future care planning conversations with people whose health is deteriorating, and their families.
REDMAP was developed by Dr Kirsty Boyd, Reader in Palliative Care, The University of Edinburgh.
REDMAP uses evidence-based communication approaches:
Ekberg et al, 2021
ACP Prompt Cards – Oct 2021 (pdf)
[Download a copy or use as slides for teaching.]
Realistic conversations – education videos
- NHS Inform public information – ACP video (Thinking & Planning Ahead)
- NHS GGC (Greater Glasgow & Clyde): Realistic conversations about Treatment Escalation Plans (TEPs)
– video for hospital clinicians involved in discussions with patients and their families about future care using TEPs and the RED-MAP Framework.
Dr McNally talks with Malcolm who has pneumonia. (View video on u-tube)
- NHS Education for Scotland (NES): Shared decision making in practice
– online module available via TURAS (includes principles of SDM, talking about risk and the DECIDE model.) Access via Realistic Medicine resources
- Building on the Best Programme (funded by Macmillan): communication training webinar for ICU nursing staff.
Talking about serious injury and end-of-life decision making