Leaflet for patients and families: What happens when someone is dying.
Kimbell B, Murray SA, Macpherson S, Boyd KJ. Embracing inherent uncertainty in advanced illness. BMJ 2016; 354 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i3802
– Jacobsen J, Brenner K, Greer JA, Jacobo M, Rosenberg L, Nipp RD, Jackson VA. When a patient is reluctant to talk about tt: A Dual Framework to focus on living well and tolerate the possibility of dying. J Palliat Med. 2018 Mar;21(3):322-327. doi: 10.1089/jpm.2017.0109. Epub 2017 Oct 3. PMID: 28972862.
– Jackson VA, Jacobsen J, Greer JA et al. The cultivation of prognostic awareness through the provision of early palliative care in the ambulatory setting: a communication guide. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2013; 16(8):1-7.
– Bernacki R, Hutchings M, Vick J, et al. Development of the Serious Illness Care Program: a randomised controlled trial of a palliative care communication intervention. BMJ Open 2015;5:e009032. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2015009032
– Bernacki RE, Block SD. Communication about serious illness care goals: a review and synthesis of best practice. JAMA Int Med 2014;174:1994-2003.
– Pino M, Parry R, Land V, Faull C, Feathers L, Seymour J. Engaging Terminally Ill Patients in End of Life Talk: How Experienced Palliative Medicine Doctors Navigate the Dilemma of Promoting Discussions about Dying. PLoS ONE 2016; 11(5): e0156174. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0156174
– Parry R, Land V, Seymour J. How to communicate with patients about future illness progression and end of life care: a systematic review. BMJ Supportive Palliative Care 2014; doi:10.1136bmjspcare-2214-000649.
Smith AK, White DB, Arnold RM. Uncertainty, the other side of prognosis. N Eng J Med 2013;368:2448-2450.
Kendall M, Carduff E, Lloyd A, et al. Different Experiences and Goals in Different Advanced Diseases: Comparing Serial Interviews with Patients with Cancer, Organ Failure or Frailty and Their Family and Professional Carers. J Pain Symptom Management 2015; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2015.02.017
California Health Foundation. Gather Round: Understanding How Culture Frames End-of-Life
Choices for Patients and Families. 2014
Milford Care Centre: Compassionate Communities. Let’s talk about illness, death and dying
(Videos for patients, families and professionals: public awareness projects)